On 23-25 May 2017, the 4th edition of the MP Annual Tactical Lessons Learned Forum
(MP ATLLF17-4) was accomplished at the NATO Military Police Centre of Excellence (NATO MP COE).
This year’s Forum was dedicated to one of the MP functions, i.e. “Security Operations” (SEC OPS) conducted by MP which stems from the doctrinal regulations, yet it also results from the NATO MP COE Lessons Learned initiatives and practical experience from the field.
The aim of the MP ATLLF17-4 was to promulgate continued interoperability amongst NATO forces, more particularly within the MP community, throughout capturing best practices, lessons identified and lessons learned from SecOps. In order to achieve the settled goal, 20 representatives from 9 NATO and PfP Nations (AUT, CAN, CZE, DEU, ESP, NDL, POL, SVK and USA) were convened at the Forum to deliberate on how current doctrines, pertaining to SecOps, reflect factual activities conducted by NATO MPs. A set of discussions was preceded by several presentations delivered by distinguished guest speakers who added considerable benefits to the gathering by briefing the attendees on the following topics:
• NATO MP COE LL Branch Initiatives,
• MP SecOps from the doctrine perspective,
• MP SecOps Planning & Execution,
• Cybercrimes over the globe and their influence on the current SecOps,
• MP LL Portal as a Sharing Tool for MP LL Community of Interest,
• Law enforcement assistance, MP SecOps during migration crisis 2015/2016,
• Counter intelligence/intelligence gathering for the MP SecOps,
• Resolute Support – Guardian Angel – training / experience – VTC with Afghanistan,
• National presentation on experience with MP SecOps,
• MP Vision – where the MP want to focus their efforts with respect to Police SecOps,
• Analysis of all Group Discussion Outcomes and extracting key observations/Lessons Identified.
Having been familiarized with a broad perspective on SecOps-related activities provided by the lecturers, the audience proceeded with the debate which was divided into two thematic group discussions related to security tasks for MP described in ATP 3.7.2.
MP ATLLF17-4 Lessons Identified Report with all results of the Forum will be shared with the MP Community of Interest by end of June 2017.